-->

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Exploring Beijing Part 2

Wednesday we set out on our last day in Beijing to see the Great Wall of China. We were fortunate enough to be in the same city as ACU's College of Business Study Abroad students on this day, so we used the opportunity to meet up and tour the fantastic site together. It was so great to see familiar faces all the way across the world, and it was a fun way to spend our final day overseas.

After a very long bus ride, we arrived at a very picturesque area that would get us to the top of the Great Wall by gondola (humidity+ 90 degree temperatures made us so thankful we were riding and not climbing to the top). After being dropped off at the landing area, we walked outside to get the first glimpses of the wall. Actually BEING there, standing on the Great Wall of China and staring at the miles of land that it stretches across was such a surreal experience for all of us. No picture could ever capture the beauty of this world wonder. It was incredible to stand on the same ground of such a historical piece of architecture that I've marveled at for years now.


After snapping pictures together of our first glimpses of the wall, we began our hike across the section we chose to explore. The sights were gorgeous and made for a very enjoyable stroll. Though the weather was hot, I couldn't complain one bit- it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for sure! At the end of our hike, our group chose the "adventurous" route down the mountain: toboggan slides! This very unconventional way of transportation was so hilariously exciting for ALL of us :)


On our way home from the Great Wall, we stopped at the Olympic Park to get a quick look of the Bird's Nest and the Water Cube. The buildings are much larger than I'd imagined, and I can't even begin to fathom how exciting it must have been to be present for the 2008 games!


Wednesday was a fantastic way to wrap up our five week journey through Asia. The Great Wall was by far one of my favorite stops on our trip, and I am so glad I got to experience it with wonderful friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment