Yesterday's events can be summed up using one word: improvisation. In middle/high school theater classes they teach students to be ready for anything on stage, and teachers even use exercises to prepare students for "on the spot" entertainment. I've taken my fair share of theater classes, and I must say that none of the countless improv games I played could have ever prepared me for what I walked into yesterday morning...
Picture this: A small room filled with twenty 3-6 year olds and their parents all waiting to be entertained and taught by an American "teacher" for the next two hours. Before I arrived that morning, all I was told was that there was a school in town that was really interested in having us visit to help teach their students a few games and songs. When I arrived, however, I realized that WE were the "main event" that day. (Even the parents would stay to see what we had to say!)
Queue the nerves, confusion, and desperate attempts to throw together some sort of lesson plan in time for class to begin. I searched deep into the memories of my pre-school days and made a quick list of favorite songs and games that I might somehow be able to teach the kids. Adding to the difficulty was the language barrier, but thankfully they provided me with a translator who literally saved my life!
Long story short, the day ended up running fairly smoothly given the circumstances. I started each class with "If You're Happy and You Know It (Clap Your Hands)" and told some interesting made up stories. We spent time talking about our favorite animals, how to say them in English, and even acted out their silly sounds. We learned the parts of the body in english to the tune of "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" and they loved singing "Twinkle Little Star" and "Itsy Bitsy Spider." The kids had two favorite activities: First, they were glowing after learning to play the game of Duck, Duck, Goose. Second, the loved our paper airplane contest, where each student got to create and fly their plane to see whose flew the furthest.
At the end of the day, I can truly say that I have more respect for preschool teachers than EVER before. After two hours with each group, I was exhausted. It can't go without saying, though, that despite the rough start I had SUCH a great time with the kids. It brought me so much joy to laugh, play, and just be silly for the day!

No comments:
Post a Comment