-->

Friday, May 18, 2012

Day One

What a day! We started at 3:30 a.m. Dallas time and now, 24 hours later, we have reached our destination. For me, the flight from Dallas to San Francisco was much more painful than our 12 hour flight to Seoul (probably because at that point I was trying to fight going to sleep). I must say though, I've never spent so many hours just sitting. It's good to be on land again, and what a BEAUTIFUL land I'm in.

Capturing the city on camera from the backseat of a van while going 70 mph does not do it justice. However, here is a glimpse of what I saw as we made our way through the city:


A member of the church we are working with in a small town outside of Seoul came to pick us up from the airport and took us to the house we will be staying at for the weekend. This town is so quaint and fun. I could roam the streets for days and never discover it all. 

Here is a glimpse from my van window of a street market in the town we're in:


For dinner, we ate at a traditional Korean restaurant, complete with tons of small dishes and a "low" Asian dining table. We all sat criss-cross around the table and enjoyed the meal with an elder of the church:



Note to self: I need to learn to speak Korean FAST. The adults here are incredibly sweet, I can see it in their eyes and their expressions. However, many adults in South Korea never had the opportunity to learn English, leaving us with a HUGE language barrier. I felt so lost during our dinner tonight, but it was an interesting experience. I am excited to meet with younger students tomorrow who are learning the English language and will be able to partially communicate with me. 

It's definitely time for me to get some rest. I am amazed at what can be accomplished in one day. I look forward to what tomorrow will bring us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment