How do I even begin to sum up all that I've done since I last posted?! It's been an incredible six days here in Seoul, which means this post will be rather lengthy. Let me just begin by saying that one blog entry cannot even begin to describe all that I have learned and experienced already, but I will try my best.
First and foremost, we have had a wonderful time interacting
with students of all ages this week. We spent time at Deung Chon Middle School
where we were guest speakers in the English classes around their campus. We
were so impressed by the students’ english abilities at such a young age, and
spent time encouraging them to keep practicing. We also spoke about what it’s
like to live and go to school in the United States, and used this conversation
topic as a time to practice the language. The kids were so inquisitive, and their
reactions to us were so genuine. They were literally awestruck at the way we
looked, and could not comprehend that my pale skin, light-colored hair, and
green eyes were natural. Spending time with these children was such a
confidence booster- I’ve never been told I was beautiful so many times in one
day!
Aside from dealing with their reactions to our appearance, the students asked questions that ranged from "What is the weather like in Texas?" to "What does your family look like?" The most popular question I was asked was "Do you have a boyfriend??" As I've been learning, Koreans are very blunt, and these children were no exception. I've also gathered that Koreans are some of the kindest people I've ever met, and again these students truly fit that description. Thank you, Deung Chon Middle School for an amazing few days with you!
When we weren't busy with students at school, our team had the chance to interact with high school and college students from around the city who are interested in practicing their english. Rather than teaching and practicing in a classroom setting, our technique with these students was to do what young adults do best: just hang out! We quickly made friends with many of the students and have truly enjoyed getting to know each of their stories. We also had an exciting addition to our team this week: our Chinese translator, Tong Ying, arrived on Tuesday and will soon travel with us to China to serve as our guide and interpretor.
On Thursday night, one of the church families had us over to their house for dinner. We enjoyed a mix of different Korean dishes that have become our favorites: rice cakes, bulgogi, chicken, kimchi pizza, vietnamese-style wraps, black beans, and more. Korean desserts and maesil tea made for a sweet treat, and we even had the chance to try on traditional Korean attire before the night was over!
Yesterday, we visited 63 Building, the tallest skyscraper in South Korea. The view from the top was incredible, and we enjoyed looking at the Korean art that hung throughout the top floor. At the end of the art exhibit, there was a "Wall of Wishes" where people from around the world who have come to visit the tower have written and left their personal wishes on display for all to see. Our team decided to partake in the wishing, and enjoyed becoming a part of this collaborative and beautiful artwork.
Top left: my wish Top right: Tong Ying's wish Bottom Middle: Cannon's wish
Last night we visited the N. Tower with some of Dr. Cha’s
former students that live in Korea. The sights of the city at night were
breathtaking, and my pictures just don’t do it justice! One really neat element was the lover's locks all around the base of the tower. The tradition is for couples from all around the world to come together and affix their padlocks to the fences forever, symbolizing lasting love. It was amazing to look around at the thousands of locks and think on how each has its own story, origin, and owners. For anyone who plans to visit Seoul, this stop is a MUST (particularly at night if you get the chance)!
Last but not least, I've compiled some of the pictures of the sights, sounds, and foods that we've encountered this week. From street vendor's concoctions to a sweet red bean ice cream dessert, our palates have definitely not been bored. My new favorite Korean food is "Tonkatsu"-a breaded pork with a delicious tangy sauce on top. We are now pros at the Seoul public transportation system, and even navigated on our own through the nine different stations yesterday! We have done our fair share of shopping, walking, strolling the streets, and soaking in the Korean culture during our free time.
I've truly enjoyed my week in Seoul, though our stay is not completely over yet. I look forward to sharing more about what the Lord is doing in the lives of the students we are building relationships with. Please pray for continued guidance as we strive to show Jesus to the people of Seoul.





What a great week you have had! I love being able to experience this with you from TX. Love all the pictures too. Enjoy all the new relationships you are making.
ReplyDelete